Saturday, October 3, 2015

Are we ALL drone dummies?

Most of us have read the news stories involving drone pilots interfering with fire-fighting efforts, and "invading privacy" with drones hovering over their neighbors' backyards.  I admit that I haven't met every single drone pilot in the world, but I must believe that most of us are only interested flying our little aircraft for fun, relaxation, and in order to "see:" things from a bird's perspective.

The problem is that, as with many other vocations and avocations, it's the small number of irresponsible parties who get most of the publicity, and who sully the image of the rest of us.

I know that I don't have to list the do's and don'ts of responsible drone flying to my readers.  I won't insult their intelligence by doing so.

Rather, I suggest that my fellow drone pilots take things a step or two further, by striving to be ambassadors of our hobby to the public.  When I do fly in public, my drone is a magnet for the curious. My advice is that when the curious approach you. answer all of their questions, even if you've heard them all before. Be friendly.  Even though we are not "professionals" in the strict sense of the word, we should behave in a professional manner when flying in front of people.  According to Miriam-Webster, a "professional" is "characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession...exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace."  Need I say more?



The author is a writer/photographer, as well as a licensed private pilot.

Are you looking for an inexpensive gift for someone who wants to enter the drone hobby?  Christmas is coming!  Check out www.dronesforthemasses.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment